+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational Stories from Real Life

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspirational Stories from Real Life

Have you ever been touched by the commitment, passion and perseverance of a person with disability? Pls share them here. It may not be new but who knows, someone may read it, get inspired and reach for his/her real destiny.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Yeo Sze Ling

AS A child, Dr Yeo Sze Ling worried constantly about her future, and the type of work she would end up in - the 34-year-old lost her sight to glaucoma at the age of four.

She decided not to let her blindness stand in her way. In university, she earned a scholarship to pursue a PhD. Using Chinese Braille, she also helped a student become the nation's first blind person to pass the Chinese O- and A-level examinations.

For all her achievements and contributions, Dr Yeo has been awarded the Singapore Youth Award this year, the highest national accolade for youth.

More:
    * http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-...-mind-20130828
    * http://ifonlysingaporeans.blogspot.s....tf8DKyzo.dpuf

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    KUALA LUMPUR: “Only when I became disabled did I realise that where there is a will, there is a way.”
    This was what an emotional S Jeyaraj had to say, following the launch of his book, “Guidance For Wheelchair Bound” earlier today.
    The book is a labour of love for Jeyaraj who was left paralysed from the waist down after a workplace accident in Singapore 10 years ago.
    The 38-year old Jeyaraj, who is married with one child currently operates a stall in Rawang but for years sold pens, come rain or shine, outside banks to support his family after the accident.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...determination/

Post Thanks / Like
    The speech was great.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Timothy Ang was only seven when tuberculosis attacked his spine, paralysing him. He became wheelchair-bound at age 12.

The Angs lived in a kampung, making it difficult for Mr Ang to live at home. So he spent most of his childhood in Mistri Wing, a children's ward at Singapore General Hospital (SGH).

Later, he had moved home to be with his family.
    "They lived on the second floor and there was no lift there. I had to call the neighbourhood police for help each time I went out or came home. The officers would come and carry me and my wheelchair to the ground floor or up to the second floor," he said.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	np_20160809_justudio_1333961.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	56

Mr Ang met a few good cabbies, who would help him back to his flat without being asked to.
    "They even waived their fees. But not all were kind. I remembered one particular cabby who told me to just stay at home and not give anyone trouble," he said.
    Despite the negativity, Mr Ang took up a three-year architectural draughtsmanship course after receiving a circular from the Handicaps Welfare Association (HWA) and was part of its first batch of students.
    Today, Mr Ang manages the BIM Studio, a social enterprise initiated by HWA and architect Yeo Chye Teck of Caide Architects, teaching other disabled people architectural draughtsmanship.
    START-UP
    Located at the Enabling Village in Lengkok Bahru, the start-up empowers persons living with disabilities (PWD) through the practice of architectural draughtsmanship and interior designing.
    The Enabling Village is an integrated community space developed by SG Enable as part of Singapore's efforts towards building an inclusive society. Tote Board is the development partner of Enabling Village.
    "Students here spend their time learning architectural design. We have weekly lessons on different software, like Auto CAD, and we also take on a range of real-life projects for organisations. I'm proud to say that a few of our students are working for clients such as Changi Airport," Mr Ang said.
    "With determination and, of course, divine providence, there is nothing a person with disability cannot do. I'm glad I have been given the chance to prove that despite my disability, I can still be useful to the community."

Source: TNP
    http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-new....gF61yxz9.dpuf

USR
    Theresa Goh - paralympic swimming medalist 2016

The parents of medal-winning Paralympic swimmers Yip Pin Xiu and Theresa Goh revelled in their daughters’ feats in Rio. But at the heart of their success were common links to pain.

"When she was nine and wearing leg braces, Theresa asked her parents for permission to climb up a playground structure about three metres high. They did not have the heart to say no, but watched her like a hawk as she made her way up on her own, fuelled by raw courage."

Source: ST
    http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/ra...-parents-speak

USR
    Disabled man's epic wheelchair journey across China

Quan Peng's wheelchair doesn't have brakes or any kind of motor. To propel and stop himself he only uses his hands.

In the past two years, Quan has gone through more than 60 pairs of canvas gloves on his 3,000-mile (5,000 kilometers) journey across China -- by wheelchair.

"I want to tell the world that disabled people can survive independently," he said.

http://www.siouxlandmatters.com/news...y-across-china
    15 Sep 2016

USR

‘She is our hero. Everyone must read her story. She will inspire you’ Malala Yousafzai

Nujeen Mustafa has cerebral palsy and cannot walk. This did not stop her braving inconceivable odds to travel in her wheelchair from Syria in search of a new life. Sharing her full story for the first time, Nujeen recounts the details of her childhood and disability, as well as the specifics of her harrowing journey across the Mediterranean to Greece and finally to Germany to seek an education and the medical treatment she needs.

Nujeen's story has already touched millions and in this book written with Christina Lamb, bestselling co-author of ‘I Am Malala’, she helps to put a human face on a global emergency.
    Trapped in a fifth floor apartment in Aleppo and unable to go to school, she taught herself to speak English by US watching television. As civil war between Assad's forces and ISIS militants broke out around them, Nujeen and her family fled first to her native Kobane, then Turkey before they joined thousands of displaced persons in a journey to Europe and asylum. She wanted to come to Europe, she said, to become an astronaut, to meet the Queen and to learn how to walk.

In her strong, positive voice, Nujeen tells the story of what it is really like to be a refugee, to have grown up in a dictatorship only for your life to be blighted by war; to have left a beloved homeland to become dependent on others. It is the story of our times told through the incredible bravery of one remarkable girl determined to keep smiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Dr Yeo Sze Ling

AS A child, Dr Yeo Sze Ling worried constantly about her future, and the type of promising Testogen review she would end up in - the 34-year-old lost her sight to glaucoma at the age of four.

She not to let her blindness stand in her way. In university, she earned a scholarship to pursue a PhD. Using Chinese Braille, she also helped a student become the nation's first blind person to pass the Chinese O- and A-level examinations.

[/FONT]
    That is inspirational. What is she up to now? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Acevedo; 28th August 2021 at 09:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread